India CIO Salary and Career Survey, 2012: Methodology

Feature

India CIO Salary and Career Survey, 2012: Methodology

The data for India CIO Salary and Career Survey 2012 was collected through online research initiatives carried out by SearchCIO.in. The target respondents were interviewed using a detailed questionnaire during Q4 of 2011 (October-December 2011).

The target respondents’ profile for the survey was set at ‘IT heads’. All survey participants found to be lower in rank, function, or designation, were disqualified. In all, 155 inputs qualified as independent valid responses.

Respondent profile

Of the total respondent universe, 31% are senior IT executives with designations such as senior vice president (SVP), executive vice president (EVP), vice president (VP), chief information officer (CIO), chief technology officer (CTO) and chief information security officer (CISO). About 7% of them are Group CIOs. The largest portion of the sample (62%) is held by officials designated as ‘IT heads’, with one or more persons directly reporting to them.

It’s essential to understand that in many Indian public sector undertakings and manufacturing companies, the head of IT rarely gets the ‘CIO’ designation. In order to get clarity on the role played by each of the respondents, SearchCIO.in asked them to further specify their reporting hierarchy.

This data shows that although all the respondents are not designated as ‘CIO’, 46% report to top management -- in effect, functioning as IT decision makers. The remaining 54% of the respondents include IT heads with one or more direct reports. Of the total respondent universe, 61% work in Indian companies, and the rest in multinationals.

 

<< Survey Slides

India CIO Salary Survey Home >>

 


This was first published in March 2012